Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My Dad's Gone, Pain & Comics Here

     Hello everyone, hope all is well.  This is a blog that I never wished to write, but you see, my Dad and greatest friend died a few days ago.  We were so close that I often said that we were really just the same person with two different birthdays.  His connection to this blog you might ask?  He taught me to read on comics, I inherited his creative spark and without him, this blog and my writing career and love of comics and pop culture would have never taken off.

     I love him so much that I wish that I were with him right now, wherever that might be instead of here.  I know that sounds harsh and that these words puts me in a position of breaking both man and spiritual laws, but I'm so crushed I can feel nothing else right now.

     But the one thing that keeps me from doing something drastic is this...my Dad had some lifelong friends that he introduced me to when I was young.  These friends of his feel just as helpless as I do right now and they need more help than I do.  So I can't join Dad currently.  Instead, I've got to stay behind as much as I loathe to, to care for his helpless friends, orphaned children really, and help them in any way I can.

     These friends, these surrogate children, are named Batman, Blackhawk, Daredevil, Black Hood and Captain America.  He left them in my care, these old, four-color brothers of mine, to take up his task of reading them, turning their pages, keeping them dry and so on, the same way he cared for them throughout his long life.

     So even though I want to, I won't be following Dad along his path anytime soon, instead, I'll stay behind to care for his old friends, wiping tears while keeping them safe and letting them know they are loved...the way he loved them, the way he loved me, the way I still and will always love him.

     Take care, please, and adopt a comic (any comic, I beg you) book today...and hug your parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment