Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Blessed by Comics

     Hi everyone, I hope all is well.  Within the last week I was given a gift from the world of comics.  You see, I recently wrote an obituary of a fine gentleman (Bud Jones) who wrote "Hagar the Horrible" and before that, created and wrote "Mr. Abernathy," a fine esoteric strip from the 1950s an 60s.


     Within a week I heard from the family of Mr. Jones.  His four sons had given me a present of an original, one of a kind, comic strip from 1963.  This is not only a very rare gift, but an appreciated one as well, more than I can convey in a mere blog.  But I am happy and proud his sons and their brother-in-law, Chuck, chose to honor me in this fashion.


     But this isn't the first time I have been so honored.  In my past associations with all things comics and comic related, I've met and become friends with artist supreme, Gene Colon, who always treated me like a neighbor and pal.  George Tuska, a great Iron Man artist, sent me presents of artwork because he thought I deserved such a thing for Christmas.  Greeting Cards would always come from Dan Spiegle, artist of "Lost in Space" as well as my own favorite Blackhawk.
    
     The great Neal Adams befriended me as well as Sea Devils artist, Russ Heath.  And let's not forget Mark Evanier who always stopped at conventions to offer me a chair and to compare diabetes notes with me.  There are more, but you get the drift.  By becoming part of the comic book and comic strip world, I have been befriended by the greats and the near greats, something I would have never imagined happening when I picked up my first comic book way back when.  I guess looking back at my life within my favorite hobby, I guess I've been blessed.


     Take care (especially Chip, Jeff, Chris, Doug and Chuck) and adopt a comic book or strip today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment