Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"My" Free Comic Day

     Hi everyone, hope you're doing fine.  This Saturday is Free Comic Day, which has been a tradition for about a decade now.  But guess what?  My Dad started the tradition over 30 years ago.  It started when he said, "Hey pal, I'm going to the store, can I bring you back a comic book?"

     My reply of course was, "Yea, thanks Dad."  Because back then, ALL my comics were free (thanks to Dad).  Later, as a teenager, my Dad gave me a pile of his old comics that he had saved from when he was young.  Again I said, "Thanks Dad."  Because again they were FREE comics to me.

     Nowadays my Dad will call me on the phone and ask me how Batman (His favorite character as well as mine) is doing.  I'll explain the most recent issues or send him a trade paperback with a compilation of a complete series of Batman comics.

     So it seems that everything has come full circle.  Years ago, free comics came to me through my Dad.  Now the free comics flow back the other way to my Dad.  And in both cases, the comics travelled back and forth through the years...with lots of love.

PS: I'll be appearing on May 4th, Saturday (free comic day) from 11:00 am-to 2:30PM at Comic Heaven (on Robinhood Dr. in Willoughby) signing autographs on my new sci-fi paperbacks, "The Galaxy Clan" and "The GlobeSpanners"   Then at 3:00Pm to 7:00PM I'll be at the Great Lakes Mall signing my same two new books at Comics and Friends with friend and artist David Russell.

     Hope to see you and don't forget to adopt a (FREE) comic today.

No comments:

Post a Comment