Monday, July 4, 2011

Comics On the Fourth.

     It's the holiday that celebrates our independence and there has been more than one war fought to keep us that way.  Many along my family tree have served, been promoted and have even died in the cause.  But this is a comic blog so I'll tell you about some of my favorite war comics.

     Sgt. Rock from DC Comics tops Terry's (my brother) and my lists, both as kids and adults.  We also like Tomahawk who helped fight the Revolutionary War.  It's still hard to believe a comic about a hero with flintlocks and buckskins could run over twenty years.  Maybe it was the coonskin cap that sealed the deal. After all -  it worked for Fess Parker and Davey Crockett.

     We also enjoyed Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandoes from Marvel.  These were some of the best freedom fighters from comics that my brother and I enjoyed.  But he was no longer collecting in the mid 1970's when DC actually produced a comic entitled, "Freedom Fighters."

     But after the last week (for anyone who's read my most recent blog) I'm just glad that any fireworks I see today are in my war comic collection or in the sky and not in my chest.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment